Safer Recruitment Training in Education Settings and the Wider Workforce
Gain the skills to protect children and young people through safer recruitment
Organisations and individuals who work with children and young people, or are involved in providing services for them, have a duty to safeguard and promote their welfare.
If you recruit staff and/or volunteers into the children and young people’s workforce, you should be trained in safer recruitment practices.
In particular, schools and education settings are becoming increasingly accountable for safeguarding children when recruiting and selecting staff. For maintained schools, it has also been mandatory since January 1, 2010 for any staff appointments to be made by a recruitment panel with at least member trained in safer recruitment.
Our safer recruitment courses have been developed in line with the Department for Education’s statutory guidance for England ‘Working together to safeguard children' and our courses for schools and colleges with ‘Keeping children safe in education’.
We offer a range of safer recruitment services:-
- One-day courses which give school staff recruiters the information and knowledge to recruit safely - read more
- One-day courses for staff in the wider children's workforce who are involved in staff selection - read more
- Two-day 'train the trainer' courses enabling participants to go on to deliver accredited safer recruitment training - download leaflet
- One-day refresher training for those who have completed a 'train the trainer' course but have not delivered a course for 2 years - download leaflet
- We also provide details of accredited safer recruitment trainers near you.
Forthcoming dates for scheduled events
Please contact the training coordinator for booking details on 01527 591 912 or email@example.com.
- Understanding Child Sexual Abusers Training | Bromsgrove (Harris Business Park, B60 4DJ), 13 September 2018
- Safer Recruitment - Train the Trainer | Bromsgrove (Britannia Hotel, B61 0JB), 4-5 October 2018
- Safer Recruitment -Train the Trainer | London (The Laylock Centre, N1 1TH), 17-18 October 2018
In all cases course content includes:
- Safer recruitment and the wider context of safeguarding
- Prevalence of abuse and profile of abusers
- How abusers operate within organisations
- Features of a safer recruitment process
- Planning a safer recruitment process
- Making the right decisions: interview and selection
- Setting acceptable standards of behaviour
- Maintaining an ongoing culture of vigilance
By the end of the courses, participants will have:
- Identified key features of staff recruitment that help deter or prevent the appointment of unsuitable people
- Considered policies and practices that minimise opportunities for abuse or ensure its prompt reporting
- Begun to review their own organisation's policies and practices with a view to making them safe
Creating safer working environments
We can also provide advice and guidance on how to implement safer working practices, including reviewing child protection policies. Using our knowledge of abuse in the work place, we can help you create an environment that keeps children as safe as possible. Contact us for more information.
Online and other face-to-face training
The Lucy Faithfull Foundation is part of the Safer Recruitment Consortium which regularly updates course materials in line with current legislation. Other members include the NSPCC, which can offer online training, CAPE and NASS (National Association of Independent and Non-maintained Special Schools).
For information on other training we can offer, visit our training pages.
For more information and to discuss your training requirements, contact the Training Coordinator:
Sign up for news & updatesFill In Our Newsletter Form Here
To support our work to protect children, donate today.Donate Today